Greetings from Becky Petersen, SBEA Director to NBEA Board – Feb. 2017
I am looking forward to my final year representing SBEA and I hope that as SBEA/NBEA members you will take advantage of all the opportunities your professional organizations have to offer. As Director for SBEA, I am dedicated to keep you informed on all upcoming events affecting us as business educators. There are so many changes in the updated curriculum that involves business education; we must stay current with these changes. It is important for each of us to develop professionally by exploring the latest technology workshops, newest teaching strategies, changing market trends and legislative issues. Becoming active in SBEA/NBEA will help you achieve these goals.
I recently attended the NBEA Executive Board Meeting in Chicago, Illinois at the beautiful Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile Hotel, located on Chicago’s famous Michigan Avenue. This hotel will host our conference this year. The meeting started on Friday, November 11, 2016 at 4:00 and continued until 7:00 p.m. We reconvened the next morning at 8:00 and continued until 5:00 p.m. The following items were discussed:
- NBEA Nominations for 2016-2017. Our current NBEA President is Priscilla Romkema and our President Elect is Diane Fisher from the Southern Region.
- November is National Education for Business Month.
- Legislative session during NBEA is very important.
- Membership recruitment and retention is a big focus. In addition to the Executive Board Renewal Campaign, each Director was given a state to contact 25 new teachers. I contacted 25 new teachers from the state of Florida and mailed them information about NBEA/SBEA. I also attended our webinar meeting on January 30. It is very important that each of us contact as many people from our state and region to join our professional organization.
- I attended the Finance/Audit Committee. Please remember that our dues have increased to $90 per year for Professional Members.
I encourage each of you to attend our convention in Chicago this year. The dates for this convention are April 12-15, 2017. Be a leader, volunteer for committees, bring a new teacher to the convention, attend professional development seminars, and be prepared to have a GREAT TIME.